In order to prevent duplicates in Base, you can manage settings to configure what fields must match in order to merge two like Contacts/Leads together. Choosing a deduplication strategy means that Base will use the settings you choose to merge contacts together during imports and Lead Conversion.
To configure your deduplication strategy, just follow these steps:
- Head over to your Settings page and click on Duplicate Management
- Base will have default settings already configured for you but if you’d like to change them, click on “Configure”
- Choose which fields you’d like to include in detecting duplicates
- Please make sure either Name, Email, or Phone is checked - at least one of them is required to detect duplicates
- Please note that you can’t choose all fields to be empty - we need at least one field where data is filled in on both (or more contacts) to accurately make matches
The next time you import a file or convert a lead to a contact, Base will use these settings to dedupe your contacts!
*If you choose not to configure these settings, Base will use our default configuration to detect duplicates: Name and either Email or Phone Number*