New to Zendesk Sell and need a place to start?
Creating trials to try different tools or apps can be exciting, but it can also be equally time-consuming, overwhelming, or distracting depending on the experience.
In this guide, we touch on some of the most important features in your Sell account that we highly recommend exploring on your free 14-day trial. We'll introduce you to core concepts of Zendesk Sell and keep you focused on key areas of the platform that will elevate your sales and improve pipeline and process management most.
In this guide we'll cover:
- Lesson 1: Navigation & Terminology
- Lesson 2: Add some Data
- Lesson 3: Connect your Email
- Lesson 4: Create a Smart List
- Lesson 5: Configure Sales Pipeline
- Lesson 6: Invite Team
- Lesson 7: Mobile App
- Lesson 8: Zendesk Sell & Support Integration
- What's Next?
Lesson 1: Navigation & getting around Zendesk Sell
The following table gives an overview of the main areas in Zendesk Sell. These icons correspond with the main toolbar located along the top of your Sell account.
|Dashboard||Summary information page with most recent account activity, snapshot of your sales pipeline and key deals, and items that need your attention such as tasks and upcoming appointments.|
|Leads||Pre-qualified sales opportunities that still need to be nurtured. You'll work with Leads until there's a "qualifying event", such as scheduling a first appointment, which indicates the Lead is ready to be converted to a contact, or in other words a qualified, legitimate prospect.|
|Contacts||Contacts will be the people or companies you're selling to who have been qualified in some way. I'd think of Contacts as your prospects and customers, where:
|Deals||Deals in Zendesk Sell include all details about a sale that you'll manage with each person or company you're selling to. Deals are the same as "opportunities" in other systems, containing key info about every sale like Deal Value, Estimated Close Date, and more.|
|Calendar||Your calendar in Zendesk Sell will hold your appointments and tasks. Schedule appointments with a single click into your preferred day on the calendar, and have an invitation sent to a Lead or Contact. Drag and drop an existing appointment to reschedule in a matter of seconds.|
|Tasks||Assign tasks and manage other user's tasks using filters such as due date.|
|Communication Center||Manage your emails, calls, and text messages with leads and contacts from a centralized place for all of your selling communication.|
|Reports||Access your pre-built reports that are ready to use. For more customizable reporting, check out smart lists instead.|
|Notifications||Access the notification center to view web alerts and know when action items need your attention.|
|Quick Dial||As simple as dialing a phone number.|
Lesson 2: Add some data
It's important to understand the difference between Leads, Contacts, and Deals in Zendesk Sell (which we just covered in the previous section) so you know where to start when it comes to adding your data.
The most common method for adding data is through an Import. Access our Import Help Guide here for instructions on how to import data to Sell.
If you're not interested in importing a spreadsheet just yet, try one of these other options for adding your data to Sell:
- Manually add Leads or Contacts
- Contact Integrations: sync contacts directly from Outlook/Office365 or Google
- Lead Capture Form: your website inquires automatically get added to Sell
- Try the Reach add-on: our built-in prospecting and enrichment tool
- Use our robust APIs for our tech savvy folks
Lesson 3: Connect your Email
Sync your email conversations with leads and contacts in your Sell account in minutes.
- see the number of times a Lead or Prospect has opened your email
- include a link in your email and see the number of times it's been clicked on
- get notified with an alert as soon as your email is first viewed
- pull dynamic email Reports to drill down on "Days Since Last Communication", "Emails without Lead Response", "Last Outgoing Email", and more in Smart Lists
- identify Deals at risk with email sentiment analysis
- send personalized, targeted email blasts
Lesson 4: Create a Smart List
Now that you have your email connected and some Leads or Contacts in your Sell account, let's create a Smart List to unlock the power of Sell and how to manage multiple leads or contacts at once.
For anyone in sales, say hello to your new best friend. Smart Lists let you drill-in on different groups of Leads, Contacts, and Deals to bring organization and focus to the chaos of selling. Think of Smart Lists as an incredibly powerful Excel spreadsheet that's designed specifically for sales.
Before we create your first Smart List, let's highlight some popular use cases:
Not only do Smart Lists give you incredible visibility, but you can also take action on lists to work with numerous prospects or customers at once.
Now, let's watch this short walkthrough on how to use Smart Lists:
Lesson 5: Configure your Sales Pipeline
Now it's time to configure your sales process inside of Sell by setting up your Sales Pipeline!
You'll manage your sales process in pipeline stages that define the milestones a typical deal goes through. These stages help to organize and categorize your opportunities based on the progress you've made with each, and also have a direct impact on sales forecasting.
- How and where do you get leads?
- Who is the first person to engage with a new lead?
- Does anything need to happen before this initial outreach?
- After initial contact with a prospect, what happens next?
- Does a prospect work with multiple sales reps before becoming a customer? When does this pass-off occur?
- Determine any "qualifying event(s)" that indicates a prospect has legitimate interest and/or is a good fit for the product or service you're selling
- At what point do you or your reps have enough information to produce a quote?
Follow this help guide for instructions and more.
Lesson 6: Invite your Team
Now that your Sell account has a solid foundation let's invite other users to join! For step-by-step instructions see the help guide here.
Roles: who uses Zendesk Sell
As the admin, you can invite users and assign roles to determine what they have access to.
|Administrator||Person in charge of your Zendesk Sell account||Administrators are end-users, whether a Manager or User, with additional privileges to manage and customize your Sell account. Administrators can make account-wide changes, such as change settings, enable integrations, access billing, and more. There can be multiple administrators.|
|Manager||Sales leaders or managers||Managers can access all Leads, Contacts, and Deals in the account and perform manager-specific actions, such as reassigning ownership of records.|
|User||Your sales personnel||Users are the sales individuals on your staff, who can only access and perform actions on the Leads, Contacts, and Deals they own. That said, an Admin can expand access to Contacts owned by other users so they can see and interact with more Contacts in the account.|
Learn more about customizing your account permission settings here.
Lesson 7: Mobile App
The Zendesk Sell mobile app for iOS and Android is top of class, empowering sales professionals to sell from anywhere. You'll find powerful selling capabilities alongside a beautiful, highly intuitive interface, making Sell the preferred mobile sales solution, especially for field reps and outside sales teams.
- Visit Tracking - find nearby prospects or customers and log in-person visits using geolocation
- GeoVerification - each time you log a visit from the Zendesk Sell mobile app, using geolocation we'll verify if the Lead or Contact's address stored in Sell matches the location of the user (optional)
- Calls from Anywhere - automatic call logging and outcome tracking
- Offline Access - sell on the go to access all of your data offline using the mobile app and as soon as you reconnect, your activity will automatically sync to the cloud.
- On-the-Go Reporting - From Pipeline Analysis to Forecasting Reports, the Sell mobile app provides valuable visibility into your sales without tying you down to your desk
- Real-time Notifications - receive alerts to your mobile device as soon as something happens
- Telephony Integrations - use the Sell mobile app for Android to sync historical calls and text messages from your Android call and text logs directly into Sell. In minutes, see conversations on corresponding Leads and Contacts to visualize a timeline of interactions
- Proximity Filtering - use the mobile app's "proximity" filter to identify prospects or customers close to your location
Lesson 8: Zendesk Support & Sell Integration
The final lesson to cover in this jumpstart guide is to connect your Zendesk Sell and Zendesk Support accounts to create a true 360° degree view of your prospects and customers.
The Zendesk Sell and Support Integration lets sales reps view support tickets from inside of Sell. On the flip side, support agents can create new Sell Leads directly from support tickets, view key sales details from Sell, and even notify sales reps about their prospects to never let any opportunity slip through the cracks.
To use the integration, you'll need:
- A Zendesk Sell Account
- A Zendesk Support Account
Check out these help guides for more info on connecting your Zendesk Sell and Support accounts:
- Attend a Webinar: Join us Tuesdays and Thursdays for a 30-minute Introduction to Zendesk Sell demo with live Q&A. Learn more and sign up here.
- Talk to Sales: Connect with our sales team to better determine if Zendesk Sell is a good fit for you and your team. We're standing by to help!
- Check out our Blog: Learn about the latest features in Zendesk Sell, tips for being a better sales professional, and thought leadership.